I went to South Jamaica the other day to play tennis. (Yes, my fat behind was out there on the court in the 100 degree weather, chasing a tennis ball. You would have died laughing had you seen it.)
Being in the neighborhood, triggered some of good childhood memories. My favorite Aunt used to live around the corner from those tennis courts. When I was a child, I spent every single weekend at Aunt (pronounced, 'ANT') Bea's house.
I started walking down memory lane when I felt tears begin to fill my eyes. I remembered the cheese sandwiches with the government cheese. I remember thinking as a child that she was the BEST COOK in the WORLD because of her skills. Never using a frying pan . . . but using the bottom tray of the oven. During a thunderstorm, she would turn all the lights off and force me and my sister to go in the back room because "God was talking". She would not allow me and my sister to play cards in her house. She claimed that she didn't want "gambling" in her house. She was the one who taught me how to fish. My mom used to take us fishing behind the TSS out in Far Rockaway. I remember promising her that when I turned 16, I was going to get my driving license JUST so that I could take her fishing everyday.
It's been nearly 25 years since she died . . . .and I miss her as if she just died yesterday. I don't think she ever really knew how much I really loved her.